The Secret to Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs
I may, from time to time, offer affiliate links to products or services on my blog. If you click those links, and make a purchase from them, I might make a little cash which I'll likely spend spoiling my furry family. Thank you for contributing to my bliss! View full affiliate disclosure.
I’m in love. Yes, it’s true. Actually, I’m in love with a lot of things but today I’m especially in love with my new Big Boss Egg Cooker! It is seriously one of the best inventions out there. If you know me at all, you know I really enjoy spending time in the kitchen. Cooking and baking is a way to be creative for me and it keeps me grounded and it keeps my man happy but, honestly, I really do it mostly for me.
I love eggs. Period. It doesn’t really matter how they are made…I love them all. BUT I rarely made hard-boiled eggs unless I was really craving them or someone asked me to bring something that required them. I seriously suck at peeling them and half of them end up wasted and it’s really frustrating. I’ve tried every trick in the book and they might work one or two times but that’s it…they aren’t consistent for me in terms of success. UNTIL NOW!
Since getting my egg cooker, I’ve made hard-boiled eggs several times. The first time was a bit of a test run and the eggs were really good but not quite hard-boiled so I couldn’t use them for the deviled eggs I’d planned to make. Every time since then they have been absolutely perfect! So perfect that last night I made 14 hard-boiled eggs for lunches, to be packaged in sets of 2 in ziplock baggies. I cooked them in the egg cooker (or I should say, I let it cook them while I did other things) and then put them into ice water and, when I was ready, I got baggies out, peeled them, bagged them up and had them in the fridge in less than 7 minutes. Is it silly that I timed myself? Kind of but you have no idea what a chore this has been for me in the past and I love the ease in which I can get it done now and enjoy something I love.
If you decide to splurge and get something like this here’s a few things that might be helpful.
- I got the Big Boss brand because I have a convection oven that’s a Big Boss (we actually own two) and I love that as well so I was comfortable with the brand.
- I loved the variety of colors it comes in from simple to fun (like the red one I chose.
- I read a lot of reviews before making my purchase and I’m not using the poaching insert included with the cooker. Most of the reviews said the slots are too small for most eggs and it ends up just making a mess. I knew this before making the purchase and, since that wasn’t my primary reason for getting it, I was okay with that.
- You can make soft, medium, and hard boiled eggs with ease.
- The cooking process is as simple as pour in water, plug it in and wait for the dinger to sound to let you know they are done. Unplug so the dinger stops ringing and let them sit for a bit to cool. I think this helps for the cooking process as well. 2-3 minutes is plenty.
- It has a measuring cup that you use to put in the right amount of water. for whatever number of eggs you are cooking and how you want them cooked. It cooks up to 7 at a time.
- When I do hard-boiled, I use filtered water from the fridge so it’s cold. This affects cook time so that’s why I’m sharing. It takes about 15 minutes to hard-boil 7 eggs with the cold water.
I absolutely swear by this thing! If you like cooking boiled eggs, you’ve got to give it a try.
What’s your favorite kitchen appliance?