Last week, while working on websites for various clients, I had three of them mention how scary it was to put themselves “out there”. One actually said she felt like she was out on the internet in her skivvies for all to see. How scary is that?
This is probably one of the most interesting aspects of my work. As much as we desire success, it can be really frightening to put yourself out there for everyone to see…to judge… I know when things aren’t quite flowing with a project, it is likely that my client has some reservations about putting themselves out there and we need to find ways to work through this. Your success depends on your willingness to shine brightly…to share all of who you are with the world…to shout it from every roof top out there! The most important thing I can say about how to get comfortable with it is: It’s a process….
Here are some tips that will hopefully help you become more comfortable with putting yourself out there:
- Talk about it. Sometimes acknowledging it can put you at ease. Finding others have the same fears/concerns can be comforting as well. Just don’t dwell on the insecurities. Help each other find ways to become more and more comfortable with the process.
- Practice, practice, practice. Look for opportunities to share what you do with others. Start with your comfort zone if need be and then begin to slowly step outside of that arena. OR if you are up for the challenge, step completely outside of your box and go big right from the start. Find a new group, new people, and begin sharing.
- Join a networking group or Toastmasters or something similar that will give you an opportunity to practice speaking in front of others.
- Did I say practice?
- Identify and write down what you do really well every day. Acknowledge yourself for all your success, no matter how small to begin to boost your confidence.
- Did I mention practice?
- Come from a place of gratitude – always. Even in those nasty lessons we experience in life, there are opportunities to grow and take yourself to the next level.
- Be like Nike and Just Do It! Don’t wait, begin putting yourself out there now and just keep putting one foot in front of the other and, trust me, it will get easier.
- Last but not least, practice. Yes, I think I might have mentioned this before but it’s worth repeating. It takes practice and it can take a lot of it but each time you step outside your comfort zone and do something, you grow. It becomes more comfortable and you realized you really are ready for this. You were born to be all you can be.
It’s time to coruscate (yes, I just had to throw in a recent “word of the day” from dictionary.com. Let your light shine!
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson