I love oatmeal. It’s filling and good! Plus it can be a really easy meal to take on the go or fix quick in the morning. I usually buy the individual containers you can throw some hot water in and you’re good to go but I’ve been on a bit of a kick for a while now to make my own things…to put in the ingredients I feel good about in the amounts I feel good about. So here’s what I did…
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- Optional: dried fruit, other sweeteners, nuts, etc. - be creative and add your favorites!
- Mix dry ingredients together well in a bowl or jar.
- Add water - if boiling water is added, let sit for 2-3 minutes. If cold or lukewarm water is used, place in microwave for about 2 minutes to cook.
- Let sit to cool just a bit.
- Add more of the optional ingredients, if desired.
- Can be stored in a covered container and used as need or cooked at once for a family.
Disclaimer: While I know we have become a very visual world and an image of the food that’s been prepared from a recipe can be very appealing, I remember a day when good ole’ Betty Crocker was the best cookbook out there and had no pictures by any of the recipes. We used that baby like there was no tomorrow…trusting that it would turn out great. I have found remember AND getting a good photo of my food is quite a challenge and I don’t want that to hold me back from sharing here so I’ll be kickin’ it old school and not necessarily be including an exact picture of the finished product. If I’ve got one, it will definitely be here. Otherwise, I’ll be using a mindfully chosen image of some of the ingredients included or something similar. If you don’t see an image here of the finished product, read the ingredients, close your eyes and imagine everything blending together into one wonderful dish for you to enjoy! Don’t let the lack of a picture hold you back in the kitchen. Be creative and have fun!!