7 Best Practices to Keep Your Business Moving Forward
I may, from time to time, offer affiliate links to products or services on my blog. If you click those links, and make a purchase from them, I might make a little cash which I'll likely spend spoiling my furry family. Thank you for contributing to my bliss! View full affiliate disclosure.
Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. – Jim Rohn
You can have the best ideas and the best intentions in the world and not be able to effectively do anything with them if you don’t have healthy habits to back it up and keep you moving forward. It’s what you do with these ideas and intentions that count – not just that you had them to begin with.
We often think of habits in a negative way – watching too much TV or eating too much – but a habit is anything you do unconsciously, or almost unconsciously…you just do it. There are some things than can keep you moving in your business by developing habits around them and any time you find yourself in a funk or don’t feel like things are moving in the right direction, ask yourself – “Am I engaging in healthy habits that move me forward?” If not, it’s time for a shift, not a pity party.
Feeling sorry for yourself and your present condition, is not only a waste of energy but the worst habit you could possibly have. – Dale Carnegie
Keep moving, no matter how you feel. Here are suggestions for healthy habits that will keep you moving in the right direction, if you make them a part of your daily life.
- Keep creating. Build time into your schedule to do this every week. Art, blog, whatever it is you do (and love)…do more of it.
- Find ways to automate or outsource as much of your work as you can…especially, if it is something you don’t enjoy.
- Your business does not stop because it’s “around the holidays” or “summertime.” If you are serious about your business, you can’t afford to take big chunks of time off. People forget quickly. Of course, I’m not saying don’t take vacation – that would be the worst advice – I’m saying you must work in your business throughout the entire calendar. You must be doing something to move forward. Not only will people forget about you but you run the risk of destroying all the positive habits you’ve created.
- Things that make you money come first. If you create a piece of art but never get it up in your shop to sell – and that’s your intention – it’s not going to sell itself (ok, it might but probably not). Got invoices that need to go out? Get them out! Got one to follow up on that hasn’t been paid? Follow up.
- Connect with your peeps. This includes new and existing people. This can’t ever stop. Comment on blogs, reply to social media updates, attend a networking group, write a newsletter and make it easy for them to connect to you! Do you have links to your profiles on your website? In your signature? Look for opportunities to share this.
- Keep your website current. There’s nothing worse than having old events up there or a service you no longer provide. Check it regularly and update as needed.
- Take care of yourself. Get plenty of rest. Eat right. Move. Take regular breaks and vacations. This will keep you fresh and energized.
What great habits do you have that keep you moving forward? Where do you need a little boost? Share below.