We had such a great dinner the other night on the grill. Grilled pork loin chops and blt potato salad. Yummy!
Here is the recipe for the pork loin chops.
Ingredients and Directions
2/3 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1.5 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (cayenne)
1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
I used 2 1/2 pounds of pork loin chops. There were two of them, nice and thick.
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Lightly grease the grill grates.
- Turn grill on low.
- Rub on all sides of the chops with your fingers.
- Allow chops to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Place chops on grill and cook to 145 degrees, about 8 minutes on each side. I do like to watch my meat closely as I’m quite particular about how they are done. Use a meat thermometer to watch the temperature.
- Once 145 degrees is reached, removed from heat and cover with foil for about 15 minutes to seal in and distribute the juices.
We decided to try the same rub recipe with chicken. I hesitated to share this here because the results weren’t so pretty but it added some great adventures and laughter to our dinner. So here are the before and after images…
What a freakin’ mess! We learned (or remembered) chicken is much greasier than port loin chops and that grease along with the sugars in the rub melting started the grill on fire along with most of the chicken. The skin was beyond burnt in most places so we had to peel it off. The great news, in addition to the laughter, was the chicken was still pretty good and what we didn’t eat this way, I cleaned up and sliced into small pieces and made an awesome chicken salad with. Always a way to put a positive spin on our challenges, isn’t there?!